Wednesday 16 March 2011

Task 2b: Sustainable Consumption

I can safely say that watching two simple animations on how “electronic waste” and “bottled water” has demonstrated the impact on our culture, environment and economic societies through organizations lack of ethical sustainability.

The fact that 95% of waste purchased in a week is thrown out reflects our sustainability morals. I would like to think that I do my bit in recycling and perhaps, re-use certain items. In many ways I am naïve in what is being processed around me especially electronic waste. I was unfamiliar that an abundance of electronic waste each year is transited to developing nations resulting in unsafe practices of removing the few valuable materials and indulging in harmful human and environmental contaminates such as lead.
Our small field trip to a western Sydney Injection molding factory, as nice and new as it was, made me think, does it really have satisfactory benefits to the environment. I don’t think so. I was told today by this particular person that any rejected mold would be sent to china for recycling. However, prior we visited a similar plastic manufacturing company who in fact do recycle their rejected plastics on site. To put in perspective one did and one didn’t. I thought how shipping rejected plastic parts can be cheaper to send to china then to find out that it returns granulated. Would it be more sustainable, more efficient and smarter economics to recycle locally, knowingly understanding that this is becoming driving industry in Australia.

Another topic I came across in my video presentation was the story of bottled water. Ok, I doubt the fact that you can ever stop the production of plastic water bottles or bottles in the first place. However I do believe it comes down to attitude. Attitude I saw whilst travelling overseas through Europe. Yes, many countries through Europe have high bottle purchase rates just for the fact that many countries have poor water systems. At the same time many ancient cities have fountains where you can top up for free. I have seen this system been erected in my local council as well. The short video of the “story of Bottled Water” explained that empty water bottles are shipped to India from the US, shifting the problems across the world. Pretty much out of sight, out of mind.

I personally see the future in plastic goods, and I also see the future in creating local sustainable industries. I do believe that firstly it’s a cultural attitude and understanding the real effects of human, environment and ultimately monetary benefits have on our community. The quicker the big corporations get involved and see local benefits too, the quicker we can transform the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment